You have a name for your new company, you have a logo that you love. Zielgruppe . Ideally, when you took quite a few thoughts about your brand: What differentiates you and makes you special and how your product or service fits the needs of your target audience .
Now is the time to reach future customers. We know that you are busy getting your business started and improving your product. At 99designs, we do our utmost to remove barriers to busy entrepreneurs. That’s why we’ve created this list specifically for small business owners with tight budgets and limited time.
Here are five ways to promote your great product without spending a fortune.
1. Your company’s name, logo, and contact information should always be visible when communicating with others
Especially at the beginning it is not enough to simply put your logo on your website. You have to make it incredibly easy for people to remember you and find you on the internet. This means you should only ever be a click away when interacting with your target audience.
It sounds so easy, but is often overlooked. Here are four places where you can place your information.
- E-Mail-Signatur (mit Link zu deiner Website und Telefonnummer) Your e-mail signature (with a link to your website and phone number)
- Your business card
- sozialen Medien Your pages in social media
- Your packaging (tip: stickers and tape can be an affordable temporary solution)
Note: This is not the kind of marketing tactic that catapults your business into the stratosphere (unless you have unbelievable luck or some well-known friends), but it’s an important first step right from the start. Not only does it show your contacts that your business is “real”, it’s also the first step in helping people remember your name, and more word of mouth for your business. Without this step, your next efforts may be for the cat.
2. Start a blog and write about something you know (if it’s related to your business)
Content marketing and search engine optimization – only big companies with big marketing departments do that, right? We have good news for you. You can create a blog that will help you improve your search engine ranking for free. Completely without programming. And better search engine rankings mean more visitors and more customers. For example, our partner Jimdo can tell you exactly how to do that with the blog very fast and straightforward!
You are not sure what to write about? Put yourself in your customers.
- What are you looking for? Create a list of questions your customers might ask and answer with your expertise.
- Then enter these questions on Google. If you can not find direct matching items, this is your opportunity.
- Ready for the next step? Our friends at Shopify have written a great guide for beginners (English) on how to find the right keywords.
3. Communicate in social networks
About three-quarters of all shoppers today find out about a business before they buy anything. Businesses can no longer rely on customers simply taking them at their word. One of the easiest ways for your customer to assess your credibility is to look at your social networking sites. You need more evidence? Currently, one in 10 online purchases worldwide comes from social networks. The good news is that you can get started with it for free.
Being a small business owner, having to take care of multiple social media channels at the same time can be daunting. We recommend not to be represented on every platform, because it can be very expensive to take care of everyone. Start with a platform that is most relevant to your business and expand from there as soon as you feel ready. hilfreiche Anleitung (Englisch) , die nach Branchen sortiert ist. Here is a helpful guide (English) sorted by industry.
- Once you have your channels, it’s time to post. (Englisch) für den Anfang, egal auf welchen Kanal du dich konzentrierst. Here are some (English) for the beginning, no matter which channel you focus on.
- You are incredibly patient and gifted to navigate websites that drive others insane? Then maybe you’re right to tackle Reddit, which puts you one step ahead. Anleitung für Reddit (Englisch) , wenn du soweit bist. Here’s a great guide to Reddit when you’re ready.
4. Build an e-mail list
Emails remain one of the most cost-effective channels for marketing departments worldwide. You do not believe us? Direct Marketing Association liegt der Return on Investment beim E-Mail-Marketing durchschnittlich bei 43.000% für Unternehmen in den USA. According to the Direct Marketing Association , the average return on investment in email marketing is 43,000% for companies in the United States. And companies using e-mail for lead nurturing generate 50% more leads at 33% lower costs. Hubspot im Schnitt 20% mehr Verkaufsgelegenheiten im Vergleich zu Non-Nurtured Leads. And, according to Hubspot, nurtured leads produce on average 20% more sales opportunities compared to non-nurtured leads.
You are not sure what to send? Here are a few types of emails you can send, depending on your clientele and your offer:
- A weekly or monthly newsletter with the best posts from your blog or other content that’s important to your audience.
- A promo email with discounts and special offers for your product.
- Product updates or announcements of your company.
Like your blog, email marketing is most effective when you put yourself in the shoes of your customers and focus on their needs, concerns and questions about your business. Watch out for your favorite brands and competitors. Which e-mails do you prefer to read? What moves you to action? Like all your materials, emails to your customers should always look professional.
5. Be creative
When the Mitfahrzentrale Lyft launched, they printed their logo and a coupon code on coasters. They sent their few employees in the cities they worked in to bars, leaned back and watched their app downloads skyrocket.
Airbnb distributed its website for free by creating a few tools that allowed every user to post their Airbnb ad on Craigslist as well. These specific examples of guerrilla marketing may not necessarily work for your business or industry, but if you make a headache, you may come up with your own clever idea of how to increase word of mouth for your business at no cost.
Do not forget, you do not necessarily have to implement all these tips at once. Every day, one step at a time, watching your business grow bit by bit. Do not expect to make a big breakthrough overnight, but if something does not work, optimize or try something new. Learn from all your mistakes. I wish you success!